The circus skirt


I got a some fabric from my Grandma a while back (as seen in a previous post) and almost as soon as I saw the striped cotton, I knew what I wanted to do with it. I've been seeing those cute, bubble-ish, pleated skirts around lately and have WANTED one. But I can never find a pattern for a style that is similar. So I finally decided to modify a pattern that I already had. The Simplicity pattern #2758 worked really well for a project base because of the already fitted-with-pleats waistband. And it had enough fullness at the bottom that I could easily pleat and tuck to my heart's content without taking off the wiggle room for walking. I decided to back the cotton with another one of my grandma's vintage pieces to give it some body and keep it from being too sheer. It worked perfectly! Below you'll see the finished project, complete with two cute, but almost non-functional pockets that I designed myself. They are lined, as is the waistband, with a cute, retro-style cotton that I bought at one of my favorite shops here in town. The same fabric is just screaming to be turned into another necktie necklace sometime soon. :)

I added some vintage buttons (I recently purchased them at an antique store in Walnut) to the front for interest, and because I plan to add suspenders eventually. When I do, two more buttons will be added to the back to hold them in place. But for now, I thought adding buttons to the back might look funny. ;-)













As you can see, there were still a few strings that needed to be clipped, and markings that needed to be washed out. Other than that, it was completely finished. :)





I hate that the horizontal topstitching doesn't match up once the zipper is closed. They did before. :? Other than that, I'm quite pleased with it. I've made three skirts with zippers so far, each with a different method. It's a learning experienc for sure!





And some inside views; because I have a fascination with the insides of garments.
I love patterned facings or linings. :)
















The same thing with stuff matching up on the inside. It must have something to do with how the zipper zips and exactly where the teeth intersect.


Also, the instructions didn't explain what to do with the side of the skirt where the facing folds over, COVERING THE ZIPPER TEETH (see the right side? If the facing had been folded straight down, like the other side was, then it would have kept the zipper from zipping all the way up). So I had to improvise and try to manipulate the fabric. I think it turned out well, though.


Once I finish my blouse, I'll post some pics of me wearing the completed ensemble. Hopefully next week..............

3 comments:

Megan Joy said...

Those pockets are so cute!! All your hard work and attention to detail really shows on this skirt--it looks so beautiful!!

2SewRetro said...

Thanks Megan! I am definitely a perfectionist. It's usually a good thing, but it can make things harder, too. ;)That's why I am such a SLOW seamstress. haha!

2SewRetro said...

I'm glad you like the pockets, too. :) I'm quite fond of them myself.........even if the stuff I put in them eventually falls out because of the strange angle. lol